All Medicare providers and suppliers who requested and received CAAPs that we began recovering those payments as early as March 30, 2021, depending upon the 1 year anniversary of when you received your first payment.
It also gives information on how to identify recovered payments.
- Repayment begins 1 year starting from the date we issued your first CAAP.
- Beginning 1 year from the date we issued the CAAP and continuing for 11 months, we’ll recover the CAAP from Medicare payments due to providers and suppliers at a rate of 25%.
- After the end of this 11 month period, we’ll continue to recover the remaining CAAP from Medicare payments due to providers and suppliers at a rate of 50% for 6 months.
- After the end of the 6 month period, your Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) will issue you a demand letter for full repayment of any remaining balance of the CAAP.
- If we don’t receive a payment within 30 days, interest will accrue at the rate of 4% from the date your MAC issues you the demand letter.
- After that, we’ll assess interest for each full 30-day period that you fail to repay the balance.