The FDA is recommended to use "Pfizer-BioNTech" COVID-19 vaccine for adolescents aged 12-15 years.
On May 12, 2021, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended the use of the "Pfizer-BioNTech" COVID-19 vaccine in adolescents aged 12-15 years, and CDC Director Rochelle Walensky adopted this ACIP recommendation.
All COVID-19 vaccination providers are directed and required to make available and administer COVID-19 vaccine to all persons eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine consistent with the applicable Emergency Use Authorizations for such products.
The COVID-19 vaccines themselves are free to everyone 12 years and older in the United States, but providers incur costs associated with administering them, training staff, and storing the vaccine.
If these services are not covered by a patient’s health plan or only partially covered, providers are not allowed to balance bill the patients.
Claims for reimbursement will be priced as described below for eligible services,
Vaccine administration fees will be priced based on national Medicare rates for administering the COVID-19 vaccine (not geographically adjusted) and are outlined below,
For dates of service through March 14, 2021:-
- Administration of a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine - $28.39
- Administration of the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine requiring a series of two or more doses - $16.94
- Administration of the final dose of a COVID-19 vaccine requiring a series of two or more doses - $28.39
For dates of service on or after March 15, 2021:-
- Administration (per dose) of a COVID-19 vaccine - $40.00
- Reimbursement will be based on the incurred date of service.